In case you missed the previous 3 recipes, I’ll link them below:
Ok, so this next soup has sort of ended up on this list by accident and wasn’t on my planned list of simple soups. It is not as quick as the other three soups as it took me 15 minutes to make, but was so delicious and still pretty quick that I thought it was still worth a mention.
Actually, courgette isn’t even something I usually eat. I always keep a stash of organic kale in my freezer anyway for green smoothies but very rarely do I buy courgette as I’m not really a massive fan of it to be honest (or kale for that matter!!), however, being a vegan I know how important it is to get in a wide range of veggies into my diet to ensure I am getting all of my nutritional needs.
Whilst out hiking yesterday, I stumbled past a house in the countryside which had a pretty large food garden. It was beautiful! There were cauliflowers, leeks, onions, potatoes, kale, lettuce, courgettes and much more! One of my missions in life is to have a home garden like that growing an array of organic veggies. Whilst admiring the garden, the owner came out and I got talking to him for a few minutes. He kindly let me wander around his garden, whilst telling me his story on how it is simply a hobby of his, and any produce he cannot consume himself, he either gives or barters away!! He doesn’t sell any of it! He was kind enough to offer me some free veggies, including the biggest courgette I have ever seen!
So here I was, with a giant courgette in my pantry. So I decided to make it into a soup ……….. and the results were so yummy that I think I am going to keep this on my regular meals list………
Creamy Kale & Courgette Soup
Makes: 1 Large Bowl of Soup | Prep Time: 2 Minutes | Cook & Blend Time: 13 Minutes
Equipment Needed: Kettle, Saucepan, Wooden Spoon, Blender (High Speed)
- 2 Large handfuls of kale
- 500g Courgette
- 1 Vegetable Stock Cube*
- 1.5 – 2 cups Boiling Water
- Half a Small Tin / Quarter of a Large Tin of Coconut Milk (approx 80ml)
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
*Still only 1 stock cube needed if doubling the recipe
- Boil Kettle.
- Put saucepan on medium heat with a teaspoon of coconut milk (Instead of using oil).
- Roughly chop the courgette into cubes and add to the pan. The smaller you cut them, the quicker they will cook. They don’t have to be exact sizes as they will be blended anyway but make them roughly the same size.
- Crumble over the stock cube and stir around with a wooden spoon for about a minute.
- Add in chopped kale but not the stalks as they take too long to cook. Handy Tip: If it’s frozen (like mine), you can crumble it straight into the pan
- Add 1.5 cups of boiling water and cook on medium to high heat for about 10 minutes with the lid on. If the water evaporates too much, add in another half cup of water.
- Once cooked, add in the remainder of the coconut milk and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Blend for about 1 minute until smooth.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Easy. Simple. Delicious!! Enjoy 🙂
Feel free to comment below whether or not you like the recipe, what you did to make it your own etc. I would love to hear your variations! You can also tag me on Instagram @freefromthecherrytree
“Keep an open mind. You never know what will be helpful to you.”