For me, converting to vegan was really, really easy. I didn’t find it difficult to go without most animal products but cheese was definitely the exception to this, I really missed cheese!
Every week I used to make a cheesy pasta bake, but with cheese, milk & butter out of my life for good I thought I would never get to see this dish again! Until I discovered this recipe……..
I found the basis of this recipe online and tweaked it to my own tastes. It is surprisingly creamy and totally delicious. It definitely gives me my pasta bake fix!
- 160g dried pasta of your choice (I use gluten-free rice pasta)
- Handful of cooked broccoli florets
- Handful of sliced mushrooms, pan-fried
- Handful of chopped spinach, pan-fried with the mushrooms
- 2/3 cup raw unsalted cashew nuts, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup of plant-based milk. Hazelnut milk is my favourite in this dish, but I have used organic soy milk also
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, plus extra for the topping
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 small / 1/2 large grated garlic clove
- Salt & Pepper
- Soak cashew nuts overnight (12 hours) in water to allow them to soften. Drain and set aside until you are ready to use. You can also soak them from morning, although overnight gives a creamier sauce in my opinion. I wouldn’t leave them for longer than overnight though as they will start to ferment.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Steam broccoli until tender. Or you can cook them in boiling water. Tender broccoli is nicest in this recipe, unless you like crunchy broccoli.
- Pan fry the mushrooms and spinach in a small amount of olive oil.
- Mix the pasta, broccoli, mushrooms & spinach together. Season with salt & pepper.
- Make pasta sauce by adding the following ingredients to a blender and blender until smooth & creamy: cashew nuts, 1/2 cup plant milk, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, 1 tbsp basil, 1/2 tbsp parsley, 1 small / 1/2 large crushed garlic clove, salt & pepper.
- Combine the creamy sauce with the pasta and pour into an oven dish. You want it to be very saucy as it will dry up a little in the oven.
- Sprinkle nutritional yeast on top and bake in a preheated 180°c oven for 15 minutes, or until top is baked.
Feel free to tag me on Instagram (@purely_vic), I would love to know how you found the recipe or if you made any variations.
Don’t forget to like, comment, share and follow below ☺️